Thursday, June 23, 2011

I'm afraid I'm a Boxist...

Recently I had the funnest time ever, reuniting with a couple of my bffs from college.  Prior to our arrival, our hostess had requested our cocktail preferences - I'm easy, I've been drinking vodka on the rocks with a Diet Coke back for so long that it used to be vodka rocks with a Tab back.  I was the first to arrive and was asked if our other friend had fallen upon hard times financially and I replied that I couldn't imagine that this could ever even be a possibility and asked why - "Because the wine she asked for comes in a box".  We both looked at each other, our eyes wide with horror  - as if our pal had announced she was becoming Republican. 

I know this wine-in-a-box concept is becoming increasingly popular but I just don't see myself jumping on that bandwagon (although given my knees and body type, I'm pretty sure physics would prevent that from happening.  Ever.).

Wine & I have a somewhat contentious relationship anyway so I tend to stay away BUT in the highly unlikely event that I were to be offered a glass of something like a Pétrus or Châteauneuf-du-Pape, well, then I would be delighted to accept but I can assure you under no circumstance would it be served from a box. 

Coming soon! Château Mouton Rothschild en boite!  Nope, I just don't see it happening. 

Don't get me wrong, I love the newfangled - I couldn't live without my laptop, flat screen, cell phone, iPod, etc. and I can Google info faster than a speeding bullet - especially considering I come from a generation to whom "Google" was the surname of a cartoon character named Barney - but I'm afraid I will never accept wine in a box.  I'm a boxist.

No comments:

Post a Comment