Sunday, June 19, 2011

Sorry, Oprah.

Please let me begin by saying that I have nothing but the utmost respect and admiration for Oprah. She rocks.  I would, however, like to address the concept of the A-ha! moment that she seems to have made so popular. 

Who are these people having A-ha! moments anyway?  I can only imagine that they might be young people, who haven't really yet had the pleasure of having life really screw with them - or, perhaps the preternaturally and insanely wealthy, who can throw money at almost anything (and yes, sister-woman, you would fall into that last category).

I can really only speak for myself, although I am going to go out on a limb here and speak for the many - I don't know anyone who has the luxury of having a genteel A-ha! moment - if we are having a moment at all it is far more likely to be a WTF?! moment.

Like, I am only now coming to grips with the idea of being middle-aged but realistically, what are the odds of me making it to 106. 

It is only now just dawning on me that it may indeed be my ears that are crooked and not the glasses. 

Giving oneself a last quick check in the rearview mirror and seeing the sun reflect off of some errant chin hair. 



So, while both could indeed be seen as "teachable" moments, the A-ha! moment illicits more of a "Huh. What do you know?" response - the WTF?! moment illicits something more akin to a "Jesus-tap-dancing-Christ, what in the name of all things holy is going on here!" response.

And so, I just thought, that in the words of the philosopher, Morissette, "You, you, you oughta know".

Sorry, Oprah.

No comments:

Post a Comment