Friday, June 17, 2011

Chet Huntley in a Refrigerator Box

I have been a news junkie and lover of all things popular culture for as long as I can remember.  At the age of four my favourite television shows were:  The Today Show, As The World Turns, The Mickey Mouse Club, and the Evening News with Chet Huntley and David Brinkely - or, The Hunty Binky Show.  Friends of ours who lived down the hall had just had a brand new refrigerator delivered that afternoon and at that age, no toy from FAO Schwarz could beat an empty refrigerator box.  The daughter of the neighbours' and I were playing in the box when a pair of man legs appeared in front of the open end of the box - I looked out and looked up and could not have been more gob-smacked had Mickey Mouse been standing there; "Mr. Hunty?"  Actually, I think he was just as stunned that this tiny child even knew who he was.
As it turned out, Chet Huntley was indeed a friend and dinner guest of our friends with the new fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment