Sunday, September 25, 2011

Andy Warhol Is Not The Boss Of You

Where in the fresh hell have manners and consideration for one's fellow human gone? When did we start rewarding aberrant behaviour with fame and fortune?  I like to think that I still take peoples' feelings into account, when possible, before speaking or acting.   While it pains me to say it, I will admit that the thank you note has always been my bĂȘte noire. I will also admit that just earlier, this very day, I posted on my facebook page that I thought the GOP should consider moving from the Debate/Town Hall format to Cage Matches of Death. I have properly excoriated myself and mea culpa-ed all about the place and given myself 3 Bloody Marys.  What's that you say?  Oh no, I'm Irish Catholic - Hail Marys, Bloody Marys - all quite the same, I can assure you.

This, I believe, is the result of the marriage of Reality TV and Mainstream Media.  Hey, I'd be lying if I didn't cop to the occasional "Real Housewives" monkey on my back.  It's the accident from which one can not turn away.  Many is the time I find that I have been dragged into one of these scream-fests during some innocent channel-surfing on my part.  I then realize, about 10 minutes in, that the clicker is still in my hand and my jaw is beginning to ache since it has been agape the whole time.  Who in their right flipping mind would hang around people who treated each other this way?

Then there is that group of ne'er–do–wells from Jersey Shore.  How hideously behaved must one be to have the entire country of Italy say, "Grazie, no" when asked if the show could film there? Remember, this is the same country whose Prime Minister, Silvio Berlusconi, appears to be the love child of Fatty Arbuckle and Larry Flint. 

The scariest of all, because they are showing themselves now, in great number, are the people who possess the Lynch Mob mentality.  It was indeed at a Republican Debate earlier this month when Rick Perry's record of 234 executions was applauded! WTF?

You know, America, repeating the same mistake over and over again is a sign of insanity.  Who decided Governor of Texas is the stepping stone to the Presidency?  Look what happened last time we had a Texas Governor as POTUS. Jesus-tap-dancing-Christ - under Perry, Texas was talking about secession just two years ago.  So, what we basically have here is a serial killer who doesn't even bloody well want to be part of the United States of America.  Delightful.

And so, to the Mainstream Media, both those considered legitimate and credible and well, ya know, FOX - please, please, stop giving notoriety to the poorly behaved.  Yes, I understand that Andy Warhol once said that "In the future, everyone will be world-famous for 15 minutes" but A) y'all are taking this way too literally and 2) Andy Warhol is dead and not the boss of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment